Tuesday 24 December 2013

The eve of Christmas

I think I'm supposed to post something profound right now, and probably something festive / Christian but I am an atheist which makes me exempt. I am also a hypocrite so while I choose not to believe for my own personal reasons, I also don't expect others to follow the same trend, and actually in those rare moments that I can pull my own head out of my ass for long enough in December I actually kind of love Christmas...

This year has had its up and it's down, the last few months with all the Girl Child drama being the worst of the down and knowing that we carry that into the new year is still a down. That being said there are tons of children out their with much worse and I know now with a certainty that we are in fact a strong (and also highly odd) unit that will make it through anything and we've proven that time and time and time again.

Christmas is a funny time of year and I find that everyone assumes that we should all be merry. I'm against this because human beings are individuals and we come with a whole range of experiences and feelings associated with Christmas. As I told a colleague today I find the whole Christmas stuff difficult (I am after all an excellent grudge holder) but that isn't Christmas' fault. (Like Christmas is a whole person or something...)  I appreciate that there are people who love Christmas so much that they spend their entire years electric bill on proving so by lighting up their whole house, or keeping their tree up and celebrating every single day, there are those that don't celebrate due to religion or culture, and those that fear and dread the whole damn thing and if they even manage to put the damn tree up in the first place are itching to take it down as soon as its socially (or not) acceptable. I think we all find out peace and our reasons and we celebrate whatever we celebrate in a way that we can cope with. I use the word cope because their are squillions of us out their coping and just getting through where some days it is enough to have just gotten out of bed in the first place.

I'm not sure where I'm really going with this whole post other than to say that regardless of my beliefs, my feelings and my many confusing thoughts is that for me my Christmas present is having my whole family home for Christmas and not in a hospital setting, we would have coped if it was different but thankfully it's not right now and that's worth celebrating.

So for those who welcome it, Happy Merry Christmas and I hope that it is everything that you wish and hope for, for those that don't I wish you peace and a moment of calm and the strength / courage whatever you need to fight your daemons if only for five seconds. I think for once I'm finally comfortable with the saying Happy Holidays whatever you do with them....

For the Whovians in my life... Happy the Doctor is leaving us *sobs* day :(


No comments:

Post a Comment