Wednesday 2 October 2013

Spotober, Stroptober, Spocktober.... Craptober



I guess I can't start today's blog entry without a humble nod to the dear departed Hutch. Yesterday was a pretty shitty day, and Hutch who has been suffering for a while made it to the vets and not much further :( His age and associated conditions meant that even if we had treated him, he wouldn't have made it through the treatment, so hubby made the right decision (purely because I am too selfish) in putting Hutch out of his misery and letting him go to the bunny field in the sky. I know some people don't understand pets or relationships but Hutch was the original Easter bunny showing up with a truck load of Easter eggs and making our family complete, with his over-sized feet and ears and we couldn't have had a more agreeable bunny, always up for carrots and fussing at all hours of the day. Girl child not unlike myself is feeling very sad and I haven't been able to deal with "the hutch" yet, Hubby has said he will do it at the weekend. I just want to say that he will missed as part of our family but in our hearts forever...


Hubby has been in a remarkably foul mood for the two days of October that I have experienced so far (which have all sucked for the record) and is just being a moody so and so, when I questioned him about this he announced that it was officially Stroptober and that he had decided for his personal challenge to be stroppy for the entire month... and hes doing an excellent job so far, on top of this (which has taken me two days to work out) he has taken to randomly grabbing me in the shoulder... which is both painful and annoying... when I finally caved and asked him what that was all about he looked at me like I was the stupid one and said "it's the Vulcan death-grip since is Spocktober"... I swear anymore of these and I'm going to beat him to death with a packet of fags and a life size model of Captain Picard... I sense its going to be a long month...

Anyhow so far its been a pretty crappy week, without overly grossing anyone out I have had a weird skin condition for a while on  my feet that the GP is crap at working out what it is, I have been through every skin cream known to man, including the amazing skin bleaching cream (and trust me it really does bleach the skin but not a lot else) and it's the kind of condition that makes me want to set fire to my feet just for the distraction....so to top me off this week my body has decided to break out in the entire condition including in places I didn't know I had (and am still not convinced that I have).. so foolishly I went to the GP (and waited 2 hours over my appointment time to see him) who then sat and said that he didn't know what is was while googling it and bringing up horrific images of what it could be.... after much (to my chargrin) scratching of his beard he decided I had an allergic reaction and now I'm on antihistamines.... I really don't think he was listening when I said that I wanted to physically peel of my skin and grown a new one... apparently I have to wait a week for a dermatology referral (just in case Dr Google is wrong) which will then take months to get seen.... not entirely sure what I am supposed to do in the mean time since rubbing myself up against peoples furniture / door frames and people is generally speaking not socially acceptable.



Which pretty much sums up how I am feeling....


In other news Stoptober hasn't happened yet since I'm a foul grouch of itchy falling apart skin and I'm just not in the mood to even try... no point setting myself up for failure... This doesn't mean I'm not doing it, it means I'm not doing it this week... and I really don't have the stomach for the cabbage soup this week. However I have achieved a couple of things this week... I am on (woohoo) day 2 of being a vegetarian (mmmmm BACON) and I did go to my job interview on Monday. They rang today when I had my head in the oven... so now I have to wait until tomorrow to find out that I probably didn't get it...


In an attempt to stick at anything I'd set in my challenges for the year I decided to stick with the baking / cooking vegetarianism and I thought it would cheer me up.... (plus I had a ton of cottage cheese to use up) so I opted for the Broccoli Corn Bread pictured below...



Now I was doomed to fail from the beginning since I don't know what self rising corn meal is and Google (cor I am as bad as that GP) didn't have any useful substitution suggestions... also you can't defrost broccoli by pouring cold water all over it... (see I am learning people). Now I will be fair, I only injured myself once and there is (probably) only one eggshell in there...


                                    

Which to be fair...I think is pretty good and it does taste yummy.... and veggie so I'm not writing this one off as a complete fail, but I will put it all in one loaf tin next time...

On the same theme, I don't want to be a chips and cheese or jacket potato beans and cheese girl for the next 31 days so I thought I should make some effort with my dinner... now I think where I'm going wrong is my fuck it I don't have that ingredient so I'll substitute it with whatever I feel like.. and I'm not Jamie O (£22 on cheap lamb I ask you... it beggars belief) so for the next X amount of cooking I might actually follow the recipe....




But not today oh no.... Now I initially screwed this up when I didn't have noodle lasagna but just flat 31p supermarket Lasagna... but I improvised and cooked it until it was "al dente" and all the other technical words they like to throw in there to confuse you.... only issue that I discovered that all my lasagna sheets had stuck together leaving me with a "al dente" lasagna block and there was going to be no rolling of roll ups of any kind. I had a minor meltdown... you know the kind where the boy child doesn't know whether to cry or run for cover, but he did manfully offer to go to the shop for replacement lasagna....


Bearing in mind I did all this while rubbing up against things (and as previously mentioned not in a sexual way) and trying not to burn my face skin off (oven is wicked hot... oh and needs cleaning... but mum's not here)... so I decided that trying to repeat the process was a waste of time, so I turned it into lasagna instead (which is what I should probably have done in the first place)


Its a far cry from the original picture... but it was 50 shades of Scrum... so clearly I can cook.... I'm just rubbish at presentation, I do however know my family well enough to know that presenting them with cottage cheesy, spinachy vegetable goodness is a waste of time and I already had a headache.

So I actually therefore triumphed by cooking 3 items...and took my £2.50 (yes really) Ham Hock (again screw you Jamie) 





And turned mmmm Gammon in Gravy.... (I had to remind myself numerous times that I am still Vegetarian)


Into mmmmm roast dinner.... (I couldn't be bothered with an art shot or to clean my kitchen alright??)  and it still cost lest that that ridiculous £9 chicken... and I have stock for pea and ham soup when I am no longer veggie... or just for tomorrow for the rest of the family... Girl child throughout the cooking process informed me that it's not fair that I can be a vegetarian and she can't... and I nearly gave in until this happened...


On this basis I refuse to believe in her need to be veggie too.... yes this is her eating the remaining gammon / ham from the bone....



(Just stole this from a friend from Facebook... but its ridiculously true)


I realized today that one of my goals is to not fuss with my hair... so on the need to feel like I have achieved something I can happily confirm that I have done naff all with my hair... so only 350 + days to go!! Not much else to report really since I'm such a grumpy itchy sod.... but it is parents evening tomorrow so I have to summon the remainder of my rage to kick ass tomorrow night... or threaten them with the plague... (both work for me) which I am kind of looking forward to since I love a good argument...


P.S any one with anti-itch suggestions please feel free to relieve me... I already did porridge in a sock but that is a whole other story!!










No comments:

Post a Comment