Thursday 26 September 2013

Mustard and moodiness

Some days, just some I wonder why I even bother getting out of bed at all... to be fair I actually spent most of it in bed drifting in and out of sleep experiencing curious dreams that Alice (of the wonderland variety) would have been proud of, hot sweats and cold sweats (Now she's not here but if she was I know mum would say something like... you think that is bad wait until you get to my age... errr no thanks)

So when I did fall out of the bed (and this was purely to take my onesie off and then on and then off again) I discovered that talking, breathing and in fact functioning was not on the agenda for the day, however I am woman (hear me roar) so I knew that if I got up and ignored it, it would at least lessen by the end of the day. Plus being home alone means that it is acceptable to put tampons up my nose, in my ears, hack like an old person and wander the house in a semi naked semi dressed state riding out the hot and the cold sweats..

Naturally feeling like this does not make one want to cook, or experimentally cook, or to contemplate food of any kind. What I did want to do was drink (and not vodka for a change) anything that was either hot and soothing or cold and soothing... (I can see you rolling your eyes over there do not worry I did not experiment with drinks... just hot Ribena and cold Ribena...)

House is surprisingly quiet with just me in it, and it did occur to me in the late afternoon as to who it is that actually does the housework around here, and who exactly is going to be loading / unloading the dishwasher, doing the laundry and meal planning around here for the next few weeks.  Had small fright when I spilled hot Ribena all over work surfaces and only had Mum's cleaning cloth to hand... am hoping bright purple stain in said cloth will have faded by the time she returns...

Spent the afternoon as only the sick and pitying blogger can do, researching more crazy ass stuff to do, and how to be frugal (Mum is just going to love the fruit bag scourer I made today... and by made I mean stuffed orange bags into one another and announced it a scourer!)

Also watched a lot of the Doctor because well that's who I am and he didn't object to previously mentioned tampons in the nose look... plus now that I know he's leaving I'm getting a Matt Smith crush. Additionally as some of you may know I am a firm believer in a good heart wrenching sob for no other reason than because I can and it clears out the old brain fog... so I watched the one where the Dr lost everyone (SPOILERS)

Small people arrived home, which to be quite frank I'd rather they hadn't, seriously there are too many bloody hormones in this house even with mum gone. Lets just say that between the slamming and the grunting and then the massive argument about having to go into the community and have a real conversation with people instead of text speaking and mine crafting I was ready to kill them both. Boy child added insult to injury by attempting to comment on the standard of cooking tonight (No one not even me screws up pesto pasta it can't be done).. he thought better of it when he realized that Nonna wasn't going to rescue him any time in the next two weeks....

Finally they left (thank god) chuntering and moaning all the way up the street no doubt about how I don't understand them and that if people want to talk to each other they do it online or on mine-craft, or text or whats-app and they shouldn't be forced to go to social gatherings and...... blah blah blah...

This was when I decided that I needed to create a culinary masterpiece... so I finally addressed the *ahem* mustard.... now once again I followed the recipe, including the stinking the house out for three days prior (mustard and vinegar smell not me personally although I wouldn't know since I can't smell) and ok I may have misread 1TSP of chilli flakes for 1TBSP but I am still at a loss to how when I was expecting this.....









and I got this.... ^^^^^

Now in a completely different way  to the lettuce and  turnip soup this is actually a taste triumph even if it does look like (and I'm going for the polite version) vomit... its just not attractive... therefore I cannot mark this as an epic fail or a triumph... just something that's going to sit in the fridge for a few months until I can justify throwing it out....  So I have decided that maybe condiments are not really my thing either... so it's onward and upwards to the wonderful world of chutney... which for the purposes of this blog is not a condiment and purely because I am going to have a shed load of green tomatoes to use up soon (and since I hate them I can make the rest of the family taste test it instead)

On the other 33 things front (no major achievement) I decided last night to address the writing problem... (or lack of other than poor grammar, bad spelling,  blogging behavior) Now I don''t currently (see what I did there procrastinating procrastination) have the discipline to start or finish a book, so I did in my moment of clarity last night remember how it used to be when I wrote for fun and for relaxation, and I took the plunge. I have re-registered with a writing group that I haven't belonged to for eight years (because I took my love of writing away from myself because quite frankly I am an ass) and I flashed... Not running around the internet naked, or the house, or exposing myself to random victims...(although that is still an option)  flashing is where you take a prompt and just write 500 (ish) words and run with it, no thought, no expectation just writing as it falls out of your head.. it might go somewhere or it may not but its flashing thoughts none the less.... I forgot how fun it is to flash to write for the fun of it.... and so I am going to try and flash on a regular basis (the writing kind unless the mood takes me otherwise when I lose those 33 pounds) to work towards the writing of the book/s... plus I am feeling proud of myself (therefore an addition to the loving myself part of the 33 things) for doing something I have avoided for such a long long time....






No comments:

Post a Comment